Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snorkeling...view the sea's garden!


One of the treasured jewels of the Riviera Maya & the Caribbean is the turquoise blue sea and the white sand beaches. As I've written in previous articles in the blog off the coast of our NOW Jade Resort & Spa is the 2nd largest reef in the world also know as the National Marine Park.

At some point on our days at our resort, we will probably decide to go snorkeling. Although our resort is on the beach. Good snorkeling needs coral not sandy beaches. So if this is of a possible interest please send me an email so I can try and figure out how many of us might be in a group as I am working with Alex to offer an option for a snorkeling excursion.

As a reminder Alex's Scuba Diving Excursion is NOT for Snorkelers. So we will have to 'venture our own sea garden tour. I am finding that snorkeling is anywhere between $25 - $40 per person, not including tipping our guide. Saw this particular link Puerto Morelos Snorkeling that utilizes "Diving Dogs Tours". Cute name, huh? There were a few things that looked intriguing to me, smaller group of 8, accommodated beginners as well as expert snorkelers. Plus it promoted an educational ecotourist approach to saving the coral, enlightening tourists with education, conservation & understanding the importance of co-habitating sea life, it's environment and visitors such as us.

In my research it seems getting your own mask might be a good thing. Many of the masks that are offered are not the best and it seems the rentals leak, which can be annoying. Life vest are a must on "Diving Dogs Tours" which indicates to me their safety and also their concern that the fragile coral are kept safe from destruction. I also checked out some reviews on tripadvisor and the past guests had good things to say about "Diving Dogs Tours" so let's see do we have at least 8 for a morning snorkel on Tuesday, March 8? I know why morning? Well the waters tend to be calmer, less crowd and competition. Roger and I are interested in snorkeling the 2nd largest reef in the world...great prelude to the Great barrier Reef, 'ey mate?!

Email me, so I can work with Alex on this opportunity. The Diving Dogs Tour is one of many operators. Because of the national park, we will need to go with a certified operator. And that's where Alex is doing her thing to help me out. Hope you can join us - snorkeling doesn't require certification as scuba does and it's a lot less equipment as well.

In the meantime checkout the link below & remember email me of your interest....

Puerto Morelos Snorkeling
http://www.puertomorelossnorkeling.com/

TravelYucatan.com
http://www.travelyucatan.com/mayan_riviera_maya_snorkeling.php

LocoGringo.com
http://www.locogringo.com/dynamic/services.cfm?type=Dive%20Shop&location=Puerto%20Morelos

Photo provided by Flickr.ahisgett

No comments:

Post a Comment