Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Here's Some Recommended Reading from Our Guests...


Allow me to begin by saying many thanks for those who responded to my email. Appreciate your input and assistance. For those who want to lounge around the pool, relax and perhaps read a book or two. Here are some recommendations from our own guests. Check it out...

JIM - "Thunderstruk" & "The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson plus "The Girl Who Played with Fire" by Stieg Larsson
I highly recommend "Thunderstruk" and The Devil in the White City, both by Erik Larson. These are two historical pieces that read like mystery fiction novels. "Erik Larson" is a master researcher, weaving historical events into a fascinating story. Each book takes two apparently unrelated events and ties them together in a unique and entertaining fashion. Both are fascinating books you won't want to put down...and you'll learn a lot, too.

An very well-written fiction book I'm currently reading is "The Girl Who Played with Fire," by Stieg Larsson (Wow, that's real close to the name of the first author!) This one is a murder mystery that takes place in Sweden

JAN - "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", The Girl who Played with Fire" & "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest " by Stieg Larsson

These books were recommended to me, and I will bring “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” by Stieg Larsson. (a suspenseful thriller.-Jim is reading Larsson’s” other book “The Girl who Played with Fire”.) I see that there is one more thriller by Larsson called “The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.”


RUSSELL - How about the "Drink Menu"? By NOW Jade Riviera Cancun Resort &Spa

I prefer the purist approach, Absolute Vodka,straight up and on the rocks..no umbrellas or garnish...just more vodka!


ALEX - "The Help"by Kathryn Stockett & "Kitchen House" by Kathleen Grissom

Last 2 books that I really liked were: "

The Help", by Kathryn Stockett, "

Kitchen House", by Kathleen Grissom


KAREN - Various Titles by Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown, J.D. Robb, Tom Clancy, James Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwall & Vince Flynn.

Well, the last thing I want to read when I am "chilling" on vacation is a "real" book. I prefer the simple to follow, predictable and no brainer romance type novels (a.k.a. smut novels)....though calling them a novel is a stretch of the imagination in this case. This way I don't have to keep track of a real plot, a dozen or so characters of various tongue twisting names and countries, good guys, bad guys, counter-good guys and bad guys....you get the idea. I just don't have the concentration power for all that when I'm on vacation. Maybe that would be due to those lovely little umbrella drinks of the day...ya' think?!

Some of those authors are Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown, J.D.Robb (who is also Nora Roberts) and any of the zillion others that make a living off of romantic intrigue. Not sure that any of these come translated in Japanese for Fumi, but I'm also not sure you want her to know what's in any of these anyway ;-)

For anyone who would like a "real" book recommendation, and in particular if you want to "listen" to a book instead of read, download "The Help." It's so well read that it's like going to the movies. Good reads come from Tom Clancy, James Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwall and Vince Flynn (among hundreds more you all know and love I'm sure. These are all interesting authors I have read. One would think I was slightly literate after all this info, but trust me, it's a disguise. Plus, I keep going to the library and checking out books I've already read. I forget the names of books very quickly and even reading the dust cover doesn't clue me into the fact that I've read it before. Wazzup with that? Too many little umbrella drinks at home, too, I guess.

FUMI - Japanese Historical Stories by Yamamoto Ichiriki & Ikenami Shoturo
I enjoy reading stories of ancient times & the people in Japan including, but not always Samurai and their life. I would gladly share these books with you, but you will have to be able to read Japanese. Oh but I have another option, my other son, Russell
surprised me with a subscription to Reader's Digest. I will bring that and when I'm done...I can share that with you. It is not in Japanese. Thank you so much, Russell!

ROCKY - "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garty Stein
A great book that all will enjoy. "The art of racing in the rain", by Garty Stein. takes about three days to read (I'm a slow reader) very good.

NAOMI-"The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford and "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay
I recommend THE HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET. Takes place in Seattle during WWII, by JamieFord. Kinda a love story.
The book I'm taking with me is SARAH'S KEY by Tatiana de Rosnay, another WWII fiction takes place in France, about how the French police rounded up the Jewish families in the middle of the night. Something like SOPHIE'S CHOICE, I think.

MARTY - "Private" by James Patterson, "TickTock" by James Patterson,"Strategic Moves" by Stuart Woods,"Escape from Bangkok" by Andy Botts , "Caught" by Harlan Coben and "Fear the Worst" by Linwood Barclay.
I also like to read biographies but these tend to bore most folks so I'll leave those off and I also have been enjoying books on Hawaiian History (if anyone has any interest I can provide a short list on these).Escape from Bangkok by Andy Botts (someone I know who lives by me),One of my projects for next week is to go online and download a few new titles for beach reading. Getting excited!


ROGER - "Okinawa" - The Last battle of World War II by Robert Leckie
This book was given to me by Buzz and so I'm bringing it to read in between my martinis and naps. From what I can gather The author Robert Leckie was a Pacific War veteran and former Marine. The book is a stirring account of one of World War II's most desperate and fiercely fought battles. I wonder if they have any Japanese World War II Swords, hmmm...???

DIANA - "Turning The Tables - Resturants From The Inside Out" by Steven Shaw
The author a.k.a "The Fat Guy" is the founder of eGullet website, a James Beard Award winning food critic. In this book he shares with style and humor the inside scoop to getting the coveted reservation at restaurants, how to read between the lines of food critic reviews, why does some restaurant succeed and yet others fail or how does that fish or rare farmstead cheese reach your plate..best said by Anthony Bourdain, "Turning the Table is pure crack for foodies looking for more inside information on the restaurant world".

Photo provided by Flickr.siddylam

No comments:

Post a Comment