Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Renting a Car... are you?


People do it .... but do your research and be prepared!

It's my understanding that the Yucatan peninsula is pancake flat and fairly easy driving. Although the side roads maybe unmarked and not in the best conditions as you might expect with USA standards. So stay on the main road and highways. I understand the toll roads in Mexico are very expensive and driving at night should be avoided as often local pedestrians, trucks, carts and bicycles are rarely lit. Also note that in towns such as Cancun and Playa del Carmen it may be difficult to maneuver driving and so know that public transportation are plenty and may be the way to go.

Still serious about renting a car? Heard it was cheaper to set it up in the states before you leave. But I'll let you do the comparative research on this.

The Website Travel Yucatan has an extensive information regarding car rentals, auto insurance & coverages, driving regulations, things to know etc. The laws and also the police have their ways that are very different then the USA. Remember, you are not always "not guilty" as you are in the states. So be very cautious and know what you are getting into. I would definitely check this and some other research before you do anything that locks you in!

I personally came across reasons that didn't make me feel comfortable about driving around in Mexico. GAS SCAMS & potential police speed tickets/bribes. So my option was to organize a couple of excursions and then consider taking a taxi with someone to split the cost if I had the need to venture out. Still serious about this adventure? You might want to contact Russell or Randy as I understand they were thinking about it.

Photo provided by Flickr.elliterati


No comments:

Post a Comment