Sunday, February 13, 2011

Today's Technology...Mobile Phone, Internet, Laptop & More?


I'm not an expert in this arena so will just touch lightly to get you thinking and perhaps to encourage you to do your own research or follow-through as your needs are dictated. So let's get started....

MOBILE PHONE
Each carrier is different and so if you are wanting your mobile phone to work. Be sure you get in touch with your carrier and inquire that you will be in Cancun/Riviera Maya Mexico and you want to know what it will take to make your phone work. Be sure you also have them explain the International Rates and how it applies, both in calling & receiving phone calls. It can cost you quite a bit so be cautious, unless you don't care! Also want to remind you that each room has a direct line phone, so we're not roughing it.

INTERNET & LAPTOPS
As a Preferred Club Guest, which our group is...I understand that there is a special lounge that has two complimentary computers that we can access and use. I also read in my research that in the Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean View & Ocean Front their is internet access. I also found on

Orbitz.com this information: WiFi service is available throughout all guest rooms, meeting rooms and most areas including pools, beach and some restaurants. This service is provided by AVI(external supplier) and can be purchased in prepaid cards at the front desk or online and billed to your credit card.

Please be advised that though we are at a luxury resort theft can occur and so securing your laptop is of importance. You might want to get in touch with either Karen or Mike as they often travel with their laptops as they might have some tips for you.

The other warning, I read about is the constantly fluctuating electricity which will eventually damage your hard-drive. The notation was found on Fodor's 2010 Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan Peninsula Book I own. They recommend purchasing a Mexican surge protector (available at most electronic stores for $50) to handle the frequent brownouts & fluctuation in electricity. Honestly, this convince me that for a week I can leave my laptop at home. Hey, after all I am on vacation right? And after this blog I could use a break from typing? So I'll bring a book or journal instead.

ELECTRICAL ADAPTER
Will be bringing this with us as this is something we have on hand and is so small and easily
fits in the suitcase. Better prepared then not and we do plan to bring my Apple Shuffle for music.

I understand that the standard electricity is 110 volts/60 cycle. An electrical adapter may be required for a 3-pronged plug for the ground. I also came across this additional information regarding adapters on Fodor's travel blog article . Hope it helps!

Can you think of anything else?

Photo provided by Flickr. jonjon2k8

No comments:

Post a Comment